Title tag too long or Title tag too short
Ubersuggest's Site Audit tool is a powerful feature designed to help website owners find and rectify SEO issues. One of the warnings generated by the Site Audit is the "Title tag too long" or "Title tag too short." This article aims to guide beginner SEOs on understanding, finding, and resolving this issue using Ubersuggest.
What is a Title tag too long or Title tag too short error?
A "Title tag too long" refers to a meta title tag that exceeds the recommended character limit of 65 characters. Conversely, a "Title tag too short" shows a title tag with fewer than 30 characters. Title tags play a crucial role in SEO, and their length affects how they appear in search engine results.
Why are Title tags too long or too short bad for SEO?
Title tags are essential because they provide a brief description of a web page's content to search engine users. Here's why having title tags that are either too long or too short can be detrimental to your SEO:
- Title Tag Too Long: When title tags exceed 65 characters, they risk being cut off in search engine results pages (SERPs). Users may not see the full title, affecting click-through rates and user engagement.
- Title Tag Too Short: Extremely short title tags (under 30 characters) may not convey the content's relevance effectively. This can make it challenging for search engines to understand the page's topic and negatively affect ranking.
How to Find Titles Tags Too Long Or Too Short?
To find title tags that are too long or too short use Ubersuggest:
- Access the Site Audit tool.
- Crawl your website using the Site Audit.
- Review the list of warnings and look for "Title tag too long" or "Title tag too short" errors.
- Click on the error to see specific examples and affected pages on your website.
How to Fix Title Tags That Are Too Long or Too Short?
If Ubersuggest flags your title tags for being too long or too short, here's how you can fix them:
For Title tags too long:
- Review the affected pages and shorten any title tags that exceed 65 characters.
- Ensure that the revised title stays descriptive and relevant to the page's content.
For Title tags too short:
- Evaluate pages with overly short title tags (less than 30 characters).
- Expand the title to provide a concise yet informative description of the page's content.
By addressing these issues, you can optimize your title tags for better search engine visibility and user engagement.
Pro Tip and Further Reading!
For more information on creating SEO-friendly title tags, check out this article by Neil Patel: Title Tags for SEO.