Choosing the right keywords enables you to develop well-optimized pages and compelling content that will attract customers who will convert to your site.
If you have a brand new site and you’re not ranking for any keywords or you’re looking for new keywords to target, here’s how to find them.
First, here’s some insight on how to choose keywords that will actually drive you more sales or leads.
With my last company, I had over a million visitors a month to my site.
My competition didn’t even have 1/4th of the traffic.
Now here’s where it gets interesting -- they were worth 800 million dollars.
Can you guess what we were worth? Come on, take a guess -- remember I had 4 times more traffic.
Shockingly, not even 1/10th of what they were worth.
It was at that moment that I learned higher rankings and more traffic don’t mean more revenue.
This doesn’t mean SEO is bad. It means that you need to focus on lucrative keywords that are easy to rank for, and not necessarily terms that are “popular”.
In this guide, we’ll teach you how to find the most profitable keywords to get those high conversion rates, using Ubersuggest.
- Step 1: Create a Project within Ubersuggest
- Step 2: Search Through your Competitor’s Keywords and Add them to your Master Sheet
- Step 3: Upload your Master Keywords Spreadsheet and Start Tracking
Step 1: Create a Project within Ubersuggest
Follow our existing guide to create a new project, so that you can keep track of your SEO progress.
Now that you’ve created a project, let’s dive in!
Step 2: Search Through your Competitor’s Keywords and Add them to your Master Sheet
I recommend you get started with keywords you’re already ranking for, even if you’re ranking poorly for them. Ubersuggest automatically pulls keywords you’re already ranking for from our database when you’re adding a project.
- Open your Ubersuggest dashboard. Click on the Traffic Estimation drop-down menu and select Traffic Overview.
2. Enter the domain of one of your top competitors in the search bar and click Search.
- Under the Keywords Research drop-down menu on the left-hand navigation, select Keywords by Traffic.
This report shows you all the keywords your competition is ranking for.
In addition, you'll see the search volume (vol), a website’s ranking position (position), estimated visits (EST. Visits), and SEO difficulty (SD).
Here are some key takeaways when looking through this data:
- The keywords that are phrases made up of 3 or more words tend to convert better than keywords that are one or two words.
- And the keywords that have an SD score of 40 or lower are easier to rank for.
- Look for the keywords that are very relevant to what you offer or sell and have a low SD number and a volume of over 500. Those are the keywords you want to rank for.
- Scroll through and check the box next to the various keywords you know are lucrative based on the criteria mentioned in the last step. Also, make sure that the keywords are relevant to your business.
- Export the keywords to CSV, Copy them to Clipboard or Add them to a Keyword List and make a master target list. Keywords with a low search difficulty “SD” are easier to rank for. So, it’s better to target those first.
- Repeat this process with any of your other competitors and add it to your master keyword sheet.
Step 3: Upload your Master Keywords Spreadsheet and Start Tracking
Now that you’ve got your spreadsheet or list of keywords, let’s go ahead and upload them to your project dashboard.
Navigate back to your Project Dashboard and click on View Rank Tracking.
- On the next screen, click the Add Keywords button. A dialog box will appear.
2. In the dialog box, click the Import from CSV button.
You can then import your master list of keywords from CSV. Ubersuggest will pull those keywords from your CSV and compile them into the keywords to add to the project box.
Click Start Tracking and you’ve uploaded your master list of profitable keywords you want to track to your project!
Bonus Tip: To rank for the keywords you’ll need to create content or blog posts around those keywords. Just make sure to naturally mention those keywords within your content.
Or if you already have existing pages related to those keywords, you can modify those pages and add some of your newly found keywords.
Looking for more detail on how to do keyword research? Check out our SEO Unlocked training.